19 February 2006

Slightly ahead of schedule..

The body is finished. The shoulders are seamed and the neck is finished. And it fits.

It needs blocking, which I'm a little dubious about. Having been knit in the round, I'm concerned that just soaking it and pinning it won't really even things out. And since I don't want to make it harder for individual strands to pull out extra if needed, I haven't woven the ends yet, which might mean it'll need to be reblocked once I have the ends woven and the seam situated. Or I could just weave in the ends and try to block it like that. (Suggestions from those more experienced with fair isle are more than welcome!)

I started the first sleeve late yesterday afternoon. I've decided that I'm really not enamoured of the idea of doing the sleeves flat, so I'm doing them in the round to the point where the cap will need to be shaped. I'm almost finished with the increase rows on the first sleeve; they go pretty quick.

This *might* mean sleeve 1 finished Tuesday and sleeve 2 finished Thursday and seams sewn Friday on the drive to the Cities and whole thing finished somewhat more than a day ahead of schedule! Or it might mean that given the evening meetings I have this week, sleeve 1 will be finished Tuesday, but sleeve 2 won't be finished until the drive Friday, leaving seams and such for sometime Saturday/Sunday between wedding stuff.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm not really sure what the traditional procedure for weaving in ends with fair isle is, but I think I'd tighten that seam line up with a crochet hook, weave in the ends, but don't snip them until after blocking.

Traditional blocking was done with a wooly board, which was an adjustable frame upon which the sweater was stretched out, evening up the colorwork. You might be able to get the same effect with plywood or a piece of strong cardboard covered with a towel. Even blocking wires (apparently welding rods are almost exactly the same thing) might work well. I'm thinking of getting a wooly board if I ever finish my lumber, but right now that's a long way off.

PS: google jogless jog meg swansen if the color transitions get you down. I think they'll look just fine once you've straightened everything out in the back, though.