02 February 2006

An oldie..

In keeping with the theme going around "blogland", as invited by Grace's Poppies, I bring you one of mine from awhile back.

Ambrosia

I want to drink my freedom like
ambrosia
from the hands and bodies and mouths of
other people, not lock it in a cask to
age and turn rancid. I haven't yet held
the body
I would forsake all other bodies for, haven't drank
the nectar
of a flower that would make all other flowers seem
pale and limp
by comparison. My skin hasn't been
caressed by the
eyes and voice
that I would feel
naked
without.

I want to be kissed by the
suns first rays
as I lay down to go to sleep, I want to keep
the moon
in her solitary guard company. I want to
dance in the rain
with only my hair and arms and those of others to
clothe me. I want to be the colors of the
rainbow
and
no
color
at all.

I want to walk barefoot through the
alkaline flats of the desert and
burn. I want to
wake up,
a stranger in a strange land,
to learn as I did as a child, to be
fearless
and
feared.
I want to swim in waters the
color of my eyes
and drink wine like
blood.
I want to dive into waterfalls and
land in the trees. I want to be
bruised and battered,
to be in pain so that I know
I
am
alive.

I want to be
worshipped.
I want to form my life again and
again from the
raw clay of my soul.
I want my eyes to burn with tears.
I want to know the smalls of my lovers' backs,
the hollows of their hips,
the points of their jaws,
the backs of their knees,
the palm of their hands.

I want to be held in the strength of a
hurricane and ripped apart by
tornadoes. I want to know
betrayal
and make her a friend and a lover,
knowing
she'll leave when I need her most.
I want to make love to a bank of moss,
long
and
slow
and
sensuous.

I want to pass
unnoticed
in a crowded room.
I want to jump double dutch,
weaving in and out.
I want to know the untouchables,
learn their stories, drink their tears and
bask in their
strength.

I want to march to my own drum beat and
dance to no one's music save that of the
pounding of my heart and the
rhythm
of
my
breath.

(c) 2000, Teri Lyn Hinds

"Ambrosia" was written in the summer of 2000. It was a reaction to the contradiction between where I was at that point in my life and where several of my friends were. It's worth noting that I lied when I wrote this one, even though I didn't know it then.

No comments: